Sunday, October 20, 2013

Xantara and the Weeping Willow Tree-Chapter 5, Encounter with her son

Xantara and the Weeping Willow Tree
By Ruth M Garcia-Marmolejos
 

Chapter 5
Encounter with her son
One day, Xantara was walking along the sidewalk, when two children ran and knocked her down. “OH! I am sorry lady.” A young man said. “These kids are so reckless. Here let me help you up.”

The young man helped Xantara up, and when she looked it was her youngest son Shamuel. He did not recognize her. Xantara was surprised and overwhelmed, but did not say anything, took her wheeled box and left. Xantara did not want her son to see her the way she looks.

“Strange I feel like I know that woman.” Shamuel said. “I felt like something hit my chest.” The young man took the children’s hand and continued his journey.

Xantara was overwhelmed to see her son, and grandchildren she has never met. The next day, Xantara decided to walk past her old house to see how things were. She knew no one would recognize her. Walking near the house, she saw Sinbad, who had aged quickly, walking slowly toward his car.

“Hello lady, who are you?” A little boy said, “Are you lost?”

Xantara turned around and it was one of the children that made her fall on the street. “Hello young man.” Xantara replied. “No, I am just looking at that house. It reminds me of the one that I had. Do you live here?”

“Oh no!” The little boy replied. “This is my grandpa’s house. We are just visiting.”

Shamuel walked outside and when he saw Xantara with his son, he said. “Is he bothering you ma’m? Aren’t you the lady we met, the one my children knocked to the ground?”

Xantara looked down not wanting her son to recognize her and said. “Yes, I was wondering who lives here. I used to live around here at one time.”

“My father lives here.” Shamuel said.” He told us my mother left him and he met another lady who helped him out. We lived with my mother until we grew up, and when we went back to see her, she had left the apartment without telling anyone. Father helped my mother, and one day she just left taking us with her. We don’t remember much of what happened. Mother said we had to leave the house because it was infested with bugs.

Father also told us that he sent mother money for our education, and thanks to him we were able to get a good education and have a good life. I guess she did not love us enough when she disappeared.”

Xantara had to hold in her tears, her children forgot that it was her who took them to school, and their father was never round. They forgot that she had to clean houses and do odd jobs to support them, because she was suspended at her job for taking them with her. They all left her after they finished school and never returned. Xantara walked away not saying a word.”

“Wait lady!” Shamuel said. “Who are you? Do you need any help?”

“I am a nobody that you or anyone is concerned with.” Xantara said. “Good bye.” Xantara hurried off, before her son saw her tears, crossing the street without looking, all of a sudden a speeding truck was approaching and struck her. Xantara flew in the air and her body slammed against the floor. Shamuel called an ambulance and Xantara was taken to the hospital where she was pronounced dead on arrival. Xantara’s body was buried under the big willow tree that she had planted. Every day it was said that a weeping voice was heard at the same hour Xantara died.

Stay tuned for Chapter 6. The end is not always a happy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment