Saturday, July 21, 2012

RIVER PART II-Chapter 9- Jon's accident


RIVER-PART II
By Ruth M Garcia-Marmolejos

Chapter 9
Jon’s accident
 

Drone did not know what to say, but he knew that River had to know the truth. Drone started to say. “River, you…..

Ian’s phone rang at that moment, and interrupted by saying. “I have to go, there has been an accident.”

“What happened, Ian?” River asked.

“Jon, Pamela and the baby are being taken to the hospital.” Ian replied. “A truck collided with Jon’s car. I will know more when I get to the hospital.”

“I will go with you Ian.” River said.” You cannot drive, your nerves are shot.”

“I appreciate that River.” Ian said.

“I will go with you both.” Yurania Ylang said.

Drone and Yamarah followed, Andric drove them.

When they arrived at the hospital, Rose was waiting in the visitor’s lounge waiting for the doctor to give her some news. “What happened, Rose?” Ian asked. “Are they alive?”

“Pamela has some bruises, and the baby thank God is alright.” Rose said. “The Doctor is examining them now. Jon was badly hurt, the car was trapped under the truck and the firefighters had to break into the car under the truck to get Jon out.” Rose was in shock, tears were rolling down her cheeks, and she could not believe that her son was badly hurt.

The doctor went into the lounge and said. “Your daughter-in-law is alright, and the baby is fine. The seatbelt saved her life. Your son has a very bad cut on his head, he needs blood, do any of you have Rh-Negative blood?”

“I do.” Ian said. You can take all the blood that you need.”

“There is another problem.” The doctor said. “The patient has a glass stuck in one eye. Surgery is imperative and we need a good eye surgeon to operate or he will loose his eyesight.

“I also have Rh-Negative blood he can have what he needs.” River said. “I will take a look at his eyes as soon as you stabilize him.”

“It is best that you examine the patient before you donate your blood Dr. River.” The doctor said. “You need to be in good health and strong when you operate.”

“You are right doctor.” River said. “Let me go and change clothes.”

“River do you need my help?” Yurania Ylang asked.

“Yes, I would appreciate your help Ylang.” River replied.

Both River and Yurania Ylang left to get ready to examine Jon.

Ian donated his blood and the Doctors stabilized Jon. River examined Jon’s eye and knew it was going to be a difficult surgery, but he wanted to save Jon’s eye. The glass had to be taken out very slow; River did not know how far the glass had gone. Jon was taken to the Operating room and prepared for surgery.

Everyone was tense, they knew it was a difficult procedure, but they had faith in River. Hours passed and finally YuraniaYlang came out of the operating room. “The operation was a success.” Yurania Ylang said. “River took the glass out of the eyes, and there is no damage, the glass did not go too deep into the eye. Jon’s eye has been saved.”

River walked out of the operating room and said. “We will know how Jon’s vision is when he wakes up. Jon’s head was injured badly. It is all a matter of waiting.”

“Thank you son.” Ian said. Thank you for saving Jon’s eye.”

“You do not have to thank me Dad.” River said. “I am glad that I was able to save my brother’s eye.”

Everyone looked surprised! “Yes, Ian, I just realized that you are my father.” River said. “The moment that I learned that you and I have the same blood type, not too many people have that same blood type. You have been too good to me, helped me out, and only a father leaves his wife, other son and new granddaughter to go on a journey without thinking if he will return. The reason I first thought that it was Drone, was because I have known Drone since I was a little boy, he saved my life, and has done a lot for me. I am very proud to have you as my father. All these years knowing Jon, and we never knew we were brothers. I wonder how he is going to feel when he wakes up and learns that we are brothers.”

Ian and River gave each other a big hug, everyone was very glad.

“Thank you River.” Rose said, hugging River and giving him a kiss on the forehead. “Welcome to our family.”

“Wow River!” Pamela said. “All these years and no one knew or thought that you and Jon are brothers, and now you have a little niece. From being a friend to a brother-in-law, ha, ha! When can we see Jon?”

“We should let him rest for the night.” River said. “His primary doctor should be able to let you know. I did my job, now it is up to his primary doctor.”

“Jon’s Doctor was in the room and said. “ You can all see him for a few moments, but try not to wake him up., he needs a lot of rest.”

“Yurania Ylang and I will be here all night and we will keep an eye on Jon.” River said. “We have had a long day and after that accident, Pamela needs to rest and take care of the baby. Thank God that everyone is alright. I am sure Jon will be OK too; it is just going to be a little while before he gets well and back to normal. We will know more when Jon wakes up. Mother and everyone go home and rest. I will see you all in the morning.”

River and Yurania Ylang went to rest for the evening.

The following Morning River went to check on Jon, who was awake. “How are you feeling Jon?” River asked. “You had a nasty accident.”

“Where are Pamela and the baby?’ Jon asked. “Are they alright? Pease tell me how they are.”

“Everyone is fine.” River said. “Your doctor examined you and says that you are going to be alright. You need to rest, do you remember what happened?”

“I remember seeing a huge Mac truck coming at me and all went blank.” Jon said.

“What happened to me and why is my eye patched up? Did I lose my eye? O God no! Please tell me that I have not lost my eye.”

“No, you did not lose your eye.” River said. “You almost did, a piece of glass fell in your eye and it had to be taken out. The glass was lodged deep in your eye, but did not get to damage it. I have to get the bandages off and examine your eye, now.”

“Wait a minute. Jon said. “Did you operate on my eye?”

“Well it was either me or you would still have the glass in your eye.” River said. “No one else was qualified for the job so I did it, yes.”

River took the bandages off and examined Jon’s eye. “It looks good.” River said. “Now, can you see?”

Jon looked around and said. “Yes, I can see very well River. Thank you.”

“Yurania Ylang was very helpful too.” River said. “She was in the Operating Room assisting me.”

Yurania Ylang entered the room and said. “Did I hear my name in here? How are you feeling Jon? “

“I feel like a Mac truck crushed me.” Jon said. “River told me that you assisted him with my eye surgery. You guys have sure come a long way. Thank you both.”

There was a knock on the door. “Come in.” Jon said.

It was Ian, Rose, Pamela, Yamarah and Drone. “How are you feeling son.” Ian asked. “You gave us quite a scare.”

Rose and Pamela hugged Jon and kissed him. “Just as I said to Yurania Ylang.” Jon said. “I feel like a Mac truck ran over me. How are you Pamela and how is the baby?”

“I am fine.” Pamela said. “The baby is fine, how is your eye?”

“I can see, I have a headache but I fine know that my family is fine and my eye is OK. Your son a fine eye surgeon there Yamarah. I never thought that the blind boy I met, and then went to college with, would become an eye surgeon and save my eye, along with the shy Yurania Ylang.

“There is something else that you should know.” Jon said. “That young blind boy who saved your eye is also your brother.”

“What” Jon exclaimed. “What is your talking about?

“River is your brother.” Ian said. “I just found out before I went with River and Paulie to the journey to look for Yamarah and Drone. We did not tell anyone because Yamarah wanted to tell River before anyone else knew. We did not know what River’s reaction would be towards me when he found out. It is a long story and I will tell you about it once you are out of the hospital.

How will Jon react to the news that River is his brother?
Stay tuned for Chapter 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment