Friday, July 27, 2012

RIVER PART II-Chapter 10-Happy Surprises

RIVER-PART II
By Ruth M Garcia-Marmolejos
 

 

Chapter 10
Happy Surprise
 

Jon was surprised and said. ”I want you to tell me about it now. I cannot wait. This is too big a story; I want to hear it all.”

Ian then sat down and told Jon the whole story about when he met Yamarah, and learned about having a son.

“Well, things happen and you were young Dad.” Jon said. “River, I am proud to have a brother like you. All these years attending the same college and we did not know we were brothers.”

Everyone went home and days later Jon was released from the hospital.

Graduation day was getting near, and River was going to propose to Yurania Ylang. Ian asked River, if it would be alright to celebrate a surprise engagement party. “It will be a dinner party in my house. “ Ian said. “I will invite friends and family if it is OK with you. You can invite whomever you want River. After dinner we go into the garden, and you propose to Yurania Ylang.”

“Of course it is OK with me.” River said. “I will tell Yurania Ylang that you invited us to dinner. I will be honored to have my engagement party at my father’s house with family and friends.”

The day of the dinner arrived and Family and friends were there. River and Yurania Ylang were the last ones to arrive. Dinner was served and everyone enjoyed the delicious food. “Let us go to the garden.” Jon said. “It is a lovely evening.”

“You go ahead Ylang.” River said. “I will be out in a minute I have to get something that I forgot in the car.”

Yurania Ylang followed everyone to the garden. Tables and chairs were set, with beautiful flowers around the garden. All of sudden the lights were turned off. In the middle of the garden was a lighted fountain. The fountain had statues of a couple holding hands forming a heart. In the middle was a spinning crystal glass ball. The crystal glass ball spins off while the pump underneath shoots water up to make spinning motion. River was standing in front of the fountain and said. “Ylang, will you please come close to me?”

Yurania Ylang walked toward River, not knowing what was going on. When Yurania Ylang got close to River, he got down on one knee, opening a jewel box he had in his hands. “Ylang we have come a long way.” River said. “I promised you that before we got our doctorate degree in college we would get engaged then after we graduated and received our tittles we would get married.” River opened the box, took the engagement ring out, gently grabbed Yurania Ylang’s hand and said. “We fell in love with our souls for I was blind. You loved me even though I was blind. I loved you in spite of you thinking I would never love you because you were overweight. I have never stopped loving you and want to spend the rest of my life with you. Yurania Ylang will you accept this ring as a token of our love and engagement. Will you marry me?”

Yurania Ylang was overwhelmed; she did not expect such a beautiful surprise. “River, we have been together and survived rough times.” Yurania Yland said. “The first time that I saw you, my heart knew you were going to be my forever love. I fell in love with the boy, with a wonderful heart. I did not think about you being blind. You loved me no matter what, even though I thought a handsome guy such as you would not fall in love with a fat girl. Our sacrifices in out last graduation, you getting fat and me loosing weight, was proof that our love is true. Yes River, I am honored to accept the ring and yes, I will marry you.”

River put the ring on Yurania Ylang’s finger, got up and the couple sealed heir love and engagement with a kiss.

Everyone applauded, the lights went back on and everyone congratulated the happy couple.

The maids pushed a table with a beautiful three tiered cake to the center of the garden. A big engagement ring adorned the top of the cake, Jasmines, and Ylang Ylang flowers with their leaves surrounded the cake. Then the musicians started to play romantic music for the couple to dance. “What a beautiful cake.” Yurania Ylang said. “This has been a wonderful surprise.”

“All of this was my father Ian’s idea.” River said. “Ian went with me to help me choose the ring. I did not know that he was my father at the time.”

“The ring is gorgeous.” Yurania Ylang said. Everything is beautiful.”

“Shall we set the date of the wedding now or do you want to wait.” River said.

“Can we have the wedding on Christmas Day?” Yurania Ylang asked.

“A Christmas wedding it shall be.” River replied. “Let’s tell everyone now.”

River asked the musicians to turn off the music for a moment. “I would like to have your attention everyone.” River said. “Before we start the music again and dance, Yurania Ylang and I have an announcement to make.”

Everyone turned their attention toward River and Yurania Ylang. “We have set our wedding date for Christmas Day.” River said. “You will know the details when you received the invitations. Thank you very much for your attention. Now the musicians can turn the music back on.”

Everyone applauded and the music was turned on again. Yurania’s parents were the first to congratulate and danced with the couple. Yamarah and Ian went next, then Drone and Rose, Jon and Pamela, Paulie and Cachita, both pair of grandparents, then everyone else. The party was spectacular.

“Thank you for the beautiful party you have made for our son and his fiancé Ian.” Yamarah said. “Everything has been wonderful.”

“No need to thank me.” Ian said. “It is the least I have done for our son. Now we have to plan the wedding.”

“Drone and I are leaving.” Yamarah said, “It’s too late to go to our cabin, so we will be staying at the big house for tonight.”

Everyone else thanked Ian and Rose for the wonderful party they had and went home.

Paulie’s parents also stood in the big house for the night. The following day, Cachita and Paulie called River and asked if he and Yurania Ylang would go to the big house “Cachita and I have an announcement to make.” Paulie said. “I want you and Yurania Ylang to be present. Will you come?”

“What’s wrong Paulie?” River asked. “Has anything bad happened?”

“I will tell everyone this afternoon.” Paulie said.

River and Yurania Ylang went to the big house. Andric, Drone, Yamarah, Paulie’s parents were there too. Everyone was curious as to what Paulie and Cachita had to say

“I have gathered all of you here today to make two announcements. I did not say anything last night at the party because it was River and Yurania Ylang’s night. The first announcement is that Cachita and I have been married since we returned from our journey to Najikala Island. We were so glad to see each other and did not want to wait any longer, so we eloped. We did however have Andric and my parent’s blessings. We asked them not to tell anyone until Cachita and I gave the announcement. The second announcement no one knew, We are going to have a baby,. Yes, Cachita is pregnant.”

Everyone was surprised. “Let me be the first to congratulate you my friend. “ River said. “So many wonderful things are happening.”

“I am going to be a grandpa.” Andric said. “The patter of little feet will finally be heard in this big ole house.”

Everyone else hugged and congratulated Cachita and Paulie.

Graduation day arrived and Paulie, Cachita, River and Yurania Ylang finally had their Doctorate degrees. River and Yurania Ylang were now Official Ophthalmologists,

Paulie was now an Architect graduate and Cachita a Psychologist.

Yamarah and Drone went back to their cabin in the mountains, taking Paulie’s parents home. Paulie was offered an executive position at a very well known company, River and Yurania Ylang continued to work in the same hospital but both were offered higher ranking positions. Cachita was offered a job as head Psychologist in the same hospital that River and Yurania Ylang worked.

River continued his practice at the hospital then decided to have his own private office, near the hospital. River performed the eye surgeries at the same hospital. Yurania Ylang worked part time with River in their own private office, and she also worked part time at the hospital.

Yurania Ylang often thought about the other side of the cave and one day she invited Cachita for lunch near the hospital. “Cachita, have you ever wondered what it is like on the other side of the cave?” Yurania Ylang asked.

“Yes I have.” Cachita replied. “I have wondered about what it’s like and have been tempted to go find out, but I promised Drone and father that I would never go there.”

“Do you think it is true what they say?” Yurania Ylang asked. “River said that the cave might close and disappear. Whoever is on the other side would never come back, and vice verse.”

“I don’t know.” Cachita said. “I would hate to be the one to cause any problems.”

“Do you think that maybe we can go and maybe see the entrance?” Yurania Ylang asked.

“How are we going to see it, if we do not know where it is?” Cachita replied.

“Maybe we can follow Andric the next time he goes to pick up Drone.” Yurania Ylang said. “We don’t have to go in the cave, I am just curious.”

I don’t think it is a good idea.” Cachita said. “I made a promise not to ever go near the cave or even think about going there. I do not want to break my promise to my father and Drone.”

“Aren’t you the least bit curious?” Yurania Ylang asked. “I promised River that I would not go, but I have to know or a least see where the cave is. Come on, we will not be breaking our promise if we accidentally saw your father on the road and stopped to say hello after the cave entrance appeared. Please say yes and go with me you will not break your promise, you will be accompanying me to go visit a friend who lives in the area.”

Cachita thought for a moment and asked. “Do you know when Drone will be coming back?”

“Ask you father.” Yurania Ylang replied. “He may know. How are you feeling with the pregnancy? Have you felt the baby kick? Have you had your fist sonogram? I bet you want to find out if it is a girl or a boy. Let me know what your father says about when Drone will come back here.”

“I will ask father and let you know.” Cachita said. “I have an appointment tomorrow to see the GYN; we will have the first sonogram and will know the baby’s sex. I have felt slight kicking, I feel good now, and the dizziness and nausea have gone away. We have to start thinking of what name to give our baby. I have to go back to work at the hospital now Thanks for the lunch. I will keep in touch”

“I have to go to the office; River may be busy and needs me.” Yurania Ylang said. “You are very welcomed.”

Yurania Ylang drove to the office, and River was very busy. “Did you have a nice lunch with Cachita? River asked. “How is Cachita feeling with her pregnancy?”

“Yes we had a nice lunch.” Yurania Ylang replied. “Cachita is feeling very well.”

River went back to his patients and Yurania Ylang also went to see her patients.

Days later Cachita called Yurania Ylang and said. “Father will be picking Drone and your mother up tomorrow morning. Yamarah wants to go shopping at the mall.”

“Good, I am off tomorrow.” Yurania Ylang said. “Can you go with me? I hate going by myself. I promise we will not go in. I will pick you up at the hospital entrance.”

“I will take the day off, and go with you.” Cachita said. “I hate what I am doing, but I too am very curious. I will be waiting for you in front of the hospital.”

The following morning Yurania Ylang picked Cachita up and went to wait for Andric to come out of the big house, and then follow him.

What will happen when Yurania Ylang and Cachita follow Andric to the cave entrance? Will they see the entrance? Will Yurania Ylang and Cachita be tempted to go in the cave?

Find out when you tune in to Chapter 11

 

No comments:

Post a Comment