Tuesday, November 29, 2011

RIVER-Chapter-11-The Prom

RIVER
By Ruth M Garcia-Marmolejos
 
 
Chapter 11
The Prom
River was surprised. “What have you done?” River asked. “You look beautiful, but you lost weight. Why?”
“I got tired of being fat.” Yurania said. “I wanted to look good for you at the prom, so I joined a weight club. Now I want to ask you, what happened to you? You gained so much weight, how did you get fat so fast?
River had gained weight and Yurania had lost weight. “I wanted to make you feel better.” River replied. “I thought that you would feel more comfortable with a fat partner who does not care how you look. I went away and ate a lot to get fat and I did. I do not care if you fat skinny or whatever, I love you any way you are Ylang”
Yurania was surprised when she heard River call her Ylang. “You know who I am?” Yurania asked.
“Yes, I know who you are.” River replied. “I have known who you are since the day you went to the hospital after I hadthe eye surgery and ran away. Then I was sure it was you, when you said hello near the fountain in school. I recognized your voice and the smell of the perfume you use. I did not want to tell you until the time I felt was right. Do you still want to go to the Prom with me? Do you want to go to the prom with a fat guy?”
Yurania smiled and said. “Of course I want to go to the Prom with you, I will be honored.”
River then gave Yurania a plastic box with a beautiful wrist corsage, made with white jasmines and Ylang Ylang flowers.”
“Will your help me take the corsage out and put it on?” Yurania asked? It is so beautiful, and smells like the jasmine and Ylang perfume that I use, thank you.”
River helped Yurania take the corsage out of the box and put it on her wrist.
“Wait River!” Yurania said. “I have something for you.” Yurania gave River a small jewelry box, and said, “Happy birthday.”
River took the box opened it, and there was small diamond stud earring. “It is beautiful.” River said. “But how did you know I recently got my ear pierced.”
“I saw that you had your ear pierced before you left.” Yurania said. “I asked Paulie to give me an idea of what to get you for your birthday, he said an earring. Here, let me put it on you ear.”
River looked at Yurania and asked. “May I call you Ylang? “
Yurania looked at River and said. “My birth name is, Yurania Ylang. I was named Ylang after my grandmother who love to make perfume with Ylang Ylang and Jasmine flowers. Yes River, you may call me Ylang, that will be the name only you will call me by.”
River and Yurania Ylang got in the limousine, and Andric drove them to the Prom. Andric parked the limousine in front of the building where the prom was being held, and got out to open the door for the couple. River got out first, then helped Yurania Ylang get out. Yurania Ylang grabbed River’s arm and they walked toward the reception hall.
Everyone was dancing, when they saw River and Yurania Ylang, they could not hide their emotions and gasped. Paulie and Cachita were, surprised, they both said at the same time. “Oh no!”
Everyone was surprise to see the change in River and Yurania Ylang. Paulie and Cachita went to the couple and Paulie said. “My God, you two are really in love. River gained weight to make Yurania feel good.”
Cachita interrupted by saying. “And Yurania lost weight to make River feel good.”
Cachita knew about the plan Yurania had, and Paulie then realized the reason for River going away until Prom date. Pamela was annoyed and disillusioned when she saw that River had gained weight.
“Oh my God.” Pamela said. “I would never go out with River now. I am so glad that I came with Jon. Come on Jon, lets dance.”
“Yurania looks beautiful.” Jon said. “I am going to go say hello and ask her to dance with me.”
“What! What are you doing?” Pamela asked. “Jon, you are here with me. You can’t just leave me flat to go dance with another girl.”
“The only reason you came with me, was because River did not ask you.” Jon said. “Go dance with the other guys.”
River had taken Yurania Ylang to the dance floor to have their first dance. Jon interrupted and asked. ”May I cut in?” River reluctantly agreed and went to get some punch.
Paulie was getting some punch for him and Cachita. “What a coincidence.” Paulie said. “While you were gaining weight to make Yurania feel good, she was loosing weight for you to feel good, she looks beautiful. All the guys are now after her.”
“Yeah, that’s right.” River said. “Now I am the one nobody looks at, I wonder how long before Ylang breaks up with me.”
Paulie looked at his friend with a puzzled look and said. “Wait, did you just say Ylang? Do you mean that Yurania is the mystery girl you named Ylang?”
“Yes.” Replied River.” I got suspicious when I saw her leave right away at the hospital the day I had the eye surgery. Then when I spoke to her near the fountain at the college campus, I recognized her voice and the perfume she wears. As a matter of fact she told me tonight, that her birth name is Yurania Ylang.”
“Wow! The mystery of Ylang has been solved.” Paulie said. “Don’t worry my friend, Yurania Ylang loves you. This is all new for her to be asked out to dance with other boys. Enjoy the night with her.”
It was almost midnight and the Prom King and Queen were to be announced.
The principal gave a congratulation speech, and finally said, “The Prom King and Queen this year are…..Paulie and Cachita. Congratulations.”
Paulie and Cachita were crowned King and Queen, they were given the Royal staffs, a beautiful red and white roses bouquet was handed to the queen by the principal, and they danced.
When the dance finished, the principal made another announcement. “Today is also one of our student’s birthday.“ The principal said. “He survived eye surgery, learned how to read and write with his vision, and is one of our best students. His mother bought birthday cake for all of us to share. Lets sing Happy birthday to River. River come on up to the stage.”
Everyone sang Happy Birthday and congratulated River. Yurania Ylang walked to the stage, hugged and kissed River, softly and delicately on the lips. They then walked to the dance floor and began to dance, everyone joined them. Drone had gone with Yamarah and Andric to take the cake. ”Yamarah will you honor me by dancing with me?” Drone asked.
“But this is a Prom dance for the graduates.” Replied Yamarah.
“Right now it is your son’s birthday.” Drone said.
Drone extended his hand toward Yamarah who accepted, and led her to the dance floor.
The Prom ended, and everyone went home.
Andric drove Yurania Ylang home, accompanied by River. River walked Yurania Ylang to her doorstep and they kissed.
‘Thank you for a wonderful time and for the beautiful corsage.” Yurania Ylang said. “ I have never had such a wonderful time. Good night.”
“Thank you for the gift.” River said. “I too had a good time. It is the first time that I have had such a good time. I am glad you enjoyed it too. Good night.”
Yurania Ylang went inside the house, River got in the limousine and Andric drove home.
River felt very happy, thanked his mother for the cake, and went upstairs to bed.
The following day, River, Paulie and Cachita went to school. Yurania Ylang met with River near the fountain. “What are you going to do after graduation Ylang?” River asked.
“I am going to continue to go to college and Practice Medicine.” Yurania replied. “I want to become an ophthalmologist, I want to help people who have eye sicknesses. I want to help the blind to see. I became very interested in becoming an eye doctor when I met you. I know it will take years of schooling, but it will be worth it to help people regain their eyesight.”
“When I regained my eyesight, that was the first thing in my mind.” River said. “I also have to get a job to provide for me and mother. Drone has been generous with us, and I want to be able to support mother and me. I know how it feels to be blind, and want to help others in the same or similar situation that I was in. It would be perfect for you and I to go to the same college and become good eye doctors.”
It was time to go back to class, and the other boys accompanied Yurania Ylang, they loved to talk with her. Every time that River saw Yurania Ylang, there was a boy talking to her. River felt like an outcast, and thought that maybe Yurania Ylang loved all the attention she was getting from the boys, and forget about him. Pamela agreed to become Jon’s girlfriend, realizing that all she wanted was attention form all the new boys. Pamela had been in love with Jon all along. Jon finally got the girl he wanted. Being patient paid off.
River did not want to be in Yurania Ylang’s way, and stopped going near the fountain to meet her.
Will Yurania Ylang want to continue to be with River?
Stay tunde for chapter 12

No comments:

Post a Comment